Sunday, April 08, 2007

A visit from our English rider, Pat Blackledge

Once a year we are fortunate to have a visit from a disabled rider from England. She comes for one lesson only, and it always makes our day. This year, we challenged her more than usual, and she wrote the following e-mail to us after her lesson:

Hi Nora,

I just wanted to thank you and all the volunteers for what I think was probably my best ever lesson yesterday. I felt I had so much confidence in the whole team that I could tackle anything you asked.

It would really be unfair to compare that with a typical lesson back home because there I'm in a class of about five riders and we don't have enough volunteers to give each rider such individual help and attention. Even if I could afford a private lesson every week, our structure is such (We hire the use of the arena and horses at certain times) that the volunteers wouldn't be available. Plus, I'd guess Chiquita is special even by Strides standards. Crispin, who I usually ride, is used by our good dressage riders in competitons but even he can sometimes be hard to get into a good, active walk. Chiquita seems to do it naturally. And when I tell them I only had to say 'Trot' and she did it immediately - I'll be the envy of the group. Maybe I should just move to California and ride regularly with you!

I've had no physical repercussions from trotting. The reins, while being great for my left hand, probably weren't good for my right and I've had a very sore wrist since last evening. I could tell it was doing some damage during the ride but was enjoying myself so much I ddn't want to change anything. I still wouldn't. It was well worth it.

Thanks too for letting me ride despite our getting hopelessly lost and arriving late. I'd actually given up all hope of a lesson and only really turned up to explain and apologise.

You've made me realise that I'm capable of quite a lot more than I'm currently achieving. I'll see what I can do about that and hope to report back to you next year! Best wishes to all the team,

Pat